Wednesday, September 26, 2012

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and the Same!

Well, errr, same family!

For a heart-wrenching few seconds, I thought I had misplaced my beloved Revlon Soft Rose. In desperation, I looted my makeup drawer and found it lying in a corner, unscathed. Thankfully. I breathed a big sigh of relief. After rescuing my Soft Rose from that miserable little corner, I pulled out a lip gloss that I thought looked quite similar to the lipstick: Korres Natural Purple. And then I pulled out another one that looked similar and then another and then another...until I had 5 things in my hands and 5 swatches on my arm.


The theme turned out to be deep, plum/purple shades. It's funny though, because Soft Rose is well, a rose. But one shade let to another and it turned into a bunch of purples and plums. But I must say that there really isn't much actual purple going on in this group. However, the overall feel of the shades is very autumn-esque...and aren't plummy purples the quintessential fall color? I guess I gathered a little welcoming committee for the fall season, huh?

  • Rimmel London Blush in Plum: An oldie but a goodie. This tiny little blush is quite lovely for the price I paid (under $1 since it was being discontinued). It's pigmented but just a little bit on the chalky side. The color is kind of this dirty plum but at the same time, it's also kind of a hybrid rosy color. It's almost like a slightly darker version of the popular Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush in Exposed. Plum is probably my favorite fall blush color.
  • Revlon Colorbust Lipstick in Soft Rose: This is my one of my most loved lipsticks ever. It's the perfect mid-tone lip color, not a pink or nude and not a red either. Soft Rose is, like its name suggests, a muted rose with a lovely cream finish. It's not very glossy or shiny, which I love because I can pat the color down to make it a stain. It's one of those no-brainer shades that I pop on as I rush out the door to school, and it adds such a nice, natural flush of color to my lips.
  • L'Oreal HiP Jelly Balm in Succulent: It seems that L'Oreal's HiP line is basically non-existent nowadays. I remember that it was such a hit a couple years back, but now I hear next to nothing about it. They still have those awesome color liners, though, right? It's a shame because they had some pretty good products. Succulent is this grape jelly (how aptly named) color that sheers out to be a nice pink. The texture and feel of this is very reminiscent of the The Body Shop Born Lippy Lip Balms, but with a less overpowering scent.
  • Korres Cherry Lipgloss in Natural Purple: When I pulled this out of the drawer, I thought that this was the lip gloss version of Soft Rose. But it really isn't. Natural Purple is more neutral/brown while Soft Rose leans slightly more pink/red. There's also this milky-looking factor to the gloss that the lipstick lacks. They're kind of close, though!
  • Lancome Color Fever Plumper in Downtown Pink: I'm not sure why I picked this out to add to the group, the color doesn't really match all the others, but it sure is a really pretty autumn lip color. Downtown Pink is a deep magenta with a very fine golden sheen. The consistency is rather thick and very pigmented so it's almost like a liquid lipstick. I don't always like the tingly feeling that plumpers give your lips, but this one actually feels pretty comfortable.

Sorry about all the babbling, here are some swatches!

1.) Succulent, 2.) Plum, 3.) Soft Rose, 4.) Natural Purple, 5.) Downtown Pink.

Are you enjoying the cooler weather like me? I know I'll be giving my Soft Rose some more love this fall/winter season, but what are your favorite fall lip and cheek colors? Do you have any makeup twins?

No comments:

Post a Comment